Friday, February 22, 2013

Reticulating Splines

It has taken me awhile to get back to this blog I will be honest. My last post ended up being much more cathartic then I expected and I honestly didn't want to look at it for awhile. That part of my life was a hard and arduous journey that I try to forget, but looking back I am not sure why anymore. That journey made me who I am today. I became a teacher to help that student, to inspire that lonely little soul in the harsh realm of high school. Without the torment and abuse I recieved I would never have the well of compassion I possess for my students. I am thankful for that.

I guess to synthesize this with Alexie Sherman, I have gained  valuble perspective. Never lose sight of your roots. They are what make you who are you. Cliche sure, but powerful as well. Arnold left for a strange new world just as terrifying as the one he left, but in the end after all the success he never lost sight of his home, his friends, his family. He was proud of the storys he told. My favorite moment of this comes a few pages before the end, when he lists off the tribes he belongs too. Allow me to bend the laws of copyright infringement slightly to bring that to you.



The honesty and depth of this page makes me realize our past, no matter how painful or regretful it may be makes us who we are today. I am still somewhere deep down the shy, quiet boy who cant say a word with too many S's or T's. And I am proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment