Monday, October 14, 2013

I saw a paperback in the wild today

I did. In fact I saw two of them. Together. Like some odd mating ritual. Two paperback books in the hands of two teenagers. I almost missed my stop as I gawked at them. I am not sure why I found this such an amazing site. I think it's possibly says something about the state of the world now, especially for our young members of it.

It is a growing trend that more and more Americans are reading less and less. According to Gallop polls reported in the New York Times and Boston Globe, there are a staggering number of growing statistics that cast a gloomy light on reading in the 21st century. Here are a few of them.
This was an article from 2007, and in the past six years this divide has only grown as digital entertainment becomes even more immerse and accessible. The question now becomes if digital entertainment is so rampant, why hasn't digital literacy risen with the revolution as well. Surely it must have had a positive effect? Perhaps taking a look at how reading has evolved will help answer the question.

E-Readers are no longer a revolutionary tool. They are in affluent and middle class families a house hold item. Most American households own at least one device that can be used as an E-Reader. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. The data coming about them is also encouraging. According to an article on CNN, Avid readers read about 40% more books per year on an E-Reader then paperback due to the availability and ease of use. Also a third of readers say they know spend more time reading  on their E-Reader then paperback. The article also predicted a bright future as the price of E-Readers continues to drop to entice more buyers to invest in the content available.

So this means reading is back on right! Not quite.

While there is still some debate, partially because it is very hard to get accurate reports of readership across the country, how many people will willingly claim they haven't read a book since highschool?, but many sources, including some in that very same article, point out that E-Readers only entice and advance the readership of current Readers. To a non reader there is little to entice them to go out and pick up an 80 dollar kindle especially when if they really wanted to read the book is likely right in that very same store for 1/10 of the price.

Okay so E-Readers may or may not be a positive effect for reading in the 21st century. I personally enjoy both, I have a handful of books on my kindle but also buy about 3,4 books for pleasure each year. And it seems most readers enjoy them. A portion are stalwart hold outs for the printed medium and I can see the appeal. There is something tangible about holding the book in your hand, feeling the ink so to speak. There is also something very nice about saying the phrase, "I think I'd like to read the Hunger Games" and then 10 minutes and 9 dollars later you are.What do you think? Hit the Poll!


Which do you prefer? E-Readers, Paperback, Both?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading one of the first books for pleasure that I've been able to finish in the last few years. Mainly, I spend my days and nights reading student essays, graduate school texts, and everything but fiction of my own choosing. I actually had the paperback copy of the novel for those rare moments of free time, and the audiobook version for when I was driving home from work, washing the dishes, or folding laundry. It is tough, though, to do any pleasure reading when the TV in my household is constantly on! (I won't name names, but it isn't me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son got a Nook for his First Communion, but when he got an iPad he stopped using it. I decided to download a bunch of novels for our trip to Disney this summer. I was great because I could download so many, a lot were cheaper on the Nook, I didn't have to drive to the store, and I only had to worry about searching for the Nook. It didn't make my purse weigh a ton either (like that time I took Anna Karenina on a plane). However, the Nook has been sitting on my dresser in the same spot since the day we returned and I've returned to paperbacks. There's just something about a book -- a real book -- for me.

    ReplyDelete